Three Women is the put-everything-down-and-read-this true story about what drives the desire of three American women. Yes, we know, we’ve launched with a non-fiction book about sex! Rest assured, this is not some kind of Fifty Shades-style kink fest but serious literary inquiry into the hopes, fears, disappointments and secrets of three women which, thanks to the meticulous writing, reads more like gripping fiction than it does journalistic investigation.
The author, Lisa Taddeo, spent eight years immersed in the lives of these women. In two cases she moved to the towns where they lived so she could better understand their day-to-day lives. The result is narrative non-fiction at its finest that offers a deeply personal, often painful, wildly voyeuristic and refreshingly nuanced perspective. The result is narrative non-fiction at its finest that offers a deeply personal, often painful, wildly voyeuristic and refreshingly nuanced perspective and it's absolutely fascinating!
A few links if you want to go deeper...
- An engrossing print interview with Lisa Taddeo where she discusses what she learnt from writing the book.
- The Guardian Books Podcast interviews Lisa Taddeo.
- No Filter podcast with Mia Freedman where she asks Lisa Taddeo all of the questions you will want answered upon finishing the book.
- Very comprehensive New Yorker article that doesn't follow the glowing review formula but plays the devil's advocate.
- Yes, it's going to be a TV show!