10 books we would have chosen if we'd been around for the past year
When we’ve been explaining the subscription service to friends and family we often get asked what types of books we will be sending out each month. It’s not an easy question to answer as one the best things about reading is that each experience is a unique one. Think about the last few books you’ve read that you would describe as flat-out excellent. We’ll bet they were all very different. And so, the only thing that we’re promising will be similar about our books is their quality. Expect titles outside of the mass market. We stay clear of obvious choices both to avoid you already having read them but also to enrich the experience of discovery and reading. Expect titles that go on to win literary awards. Expect gratifying reading experiences with nuanced characters, compelling themes and rich plots. Expect all of the things you want in a good book.
Here are 10 books we would have chosen if we’d been around for the past year to give you an idea of the flavour. Remember, our books will be new releases when you receive them (ie. you wouldn’t have received Boy Swallows Universe post viral fame and win-all-the-awards frenzy, but you would have been one of the first to have read it).
- Educated by Tara Westover
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
- My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Mottessa Moshfegh
- Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton
- Any Ordinary Day by Leigh Sales
- Less by Andrew Sean Greer
- Normal People by Sally Rooney
- The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai
- The Erratics by Vicki Laveau-Harvie
- On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong