The lives of three women weave together across four centuries in the dazzling book from Evie Wyld, winner of the Miles Franklin Award and the Stella Prize.
Surging out of the sea, the Bass Rock has for centuries watched over the lives that pass under its shadow on the Scottish mainland. And across the centuries the fates of three women are linked: to this place, to each other.
In the early 1700s, Sarah, accused of being a witch, flees for her life.
In the aftermath of the Second World War, Ruth navigates a new house, a new husband and the strange waters of the local community.
Six decades later, the house stands empty. Viv, mourning the death of her father, catalogues Ruth’s belongings and discovers her place in the past – and perhaps a way forward.
Each woman’s choices are circumscribed, in ways big and small, by the men in their lives. But in sisterhood there is the hope of survival and new life. Intricately crafted and compulsively readable, The Bass Rock burns bright with anger and love.
How "add-ons" work :
- Click 'Add to Cart' and follow the checkout process to purchase;
- Add-on books will be included in your next delivery;
- Cut-off for July orders is 9am Monday 28 June;
- If you're not receiving an order in July (or you miss the cut-off), we'll put your book aside and send with August's delivery;
- Offer exclusive to members only.
You can purchase as many of the add-on books as you like. Other titles are available here.