Helen Garner’s third volume of diaries is an account of a woman fighting to hold on to a marriage that is disintegrating around her.
Living with a powerfully ambitious writer who is consumed by his work, and trying to find a place for her own spirit to thrive, she rails against the confines. At the same time she is desperate to find the truth in their relationship—and the truth of her own self.
This is a harrowing story, a portrait of the messy, painful, dark side of love lost, of betrayal and sadness and the sheer force of a woman’s anger. But it is also a story of resilience and strength, strewn with sharp insight, moments of joy and hope, the immutable ties of motherhood and the regenerative power of a room of one’s own.
How "add-ons" work :
- Click 'Add to Cart' and follow the checkout process to purchase;
- Add-on books will be included in your next delivery;
- Cut-off for December orders is midnight Sunday 28 November;
- If you're not receiving an order in December (or you miss the cut-off), we'll put your book aside and send with January's delivery;
- Offer exclusive to members only.