‘A girl comes of age against the knife.’ So begins the story of Betty Carpenter.
So begins the story of Betty Carpenter. Born in a bathtub in 1954 to a Cherokee father and white mother, Betty is the sixth of eight siblings. The world they inhabit is one of poverty and violence - both from outside the family and also, devastatingly, from within. When her family’s darkest secrets are brought to light, Betty has no choice but to reckon with the brutal history hiding in the hills, as well as the heart-wrenching cruelties and incredible characters she encounters in her rural town of Breathed, Ohio.
Despite the hardship she faces, Betty is resilient. Her curiosity about the natural world, her fierce love for her sisters and her father’s brilliant stories are kindling for the fire of her own imagination, and in the face of all she bears witness to, Betty discovers an escape: she begins to write.
A heartbreaking yet magical story, Betty is a punch-in-the-gut of a novel - full of the crushing cruelty of human nature and the redemptive power of words.
How "add-ons" work :
- Click 'Add to Cart' and follow the checkout process to purchase;
- Add-on books will be included in your next delivery;
- Cut-off for April orders is 9am Thursday 25 March;
- If you're not receiving an order in April (or you miss the cut-off), we'll put your book aside and send with May's delivery;
- Offer exclusive to members only.
You can purchase as many of the add-on books as you like. Other titles are available here.